Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It’s come full circle.


For my first Halloween, my mom dressed me as a Ninja Turtle, to be specific it was Raphael. Now that I have made this realization, I find it funny that this love of turtles has gotten me to this place. That being said, for now my adjective to describe what I am feeling at this moment would be “wonder”.

I chose the word wonder because I have never quite seen beauty, quite like what I am seeing in Tortuguero. On our first day alone we saw species that I have only dreamt about seeing in person. Between the howler monkeys, toucans, caiman, crocodiles and mama and baby sloth, I don’t think I could be more amazed. 

The first caiman we saw on our way into the station
First encounter with a crocodile
Three toed sloth with a baby on her side.
Try to look up, you can see its little arm.


That doesn’t even include the turtle walks. Although we haven’t seen any turtles yet, we have seen loggerhead half moon tracks -- the shape of the tracks the turtles make when they haven’t nested and just go back in the water. This was particularly “wondrous” because of the four types of turtles that could nest on the beach we are permitted to do work on, Playa Norte, loggerheads are one of the more rare species found nesting here (hawksbills nesting here are also more rare, while the more common turtles that nest here are green and leatherback turtles).
Turtle tracks!

I can’t wait to actually see one nesting and by the time that happens I am sure it will keep the wonder over here alive; although I don’t know how anyone could lose their amazement for this place. Every day we seem to find something new and exciting. Tomorrow we have our first night patrol of the beach for nesting turtles so I am very excited to learn the protocol for that, and excited for the chance to see a nesting sea turtle. I know the first time I see one will probably be one of the most memorable moments of this trip, so I am looking very forward it.

All-in-all, so far I appreciate the opportunity to be here very much, and I cannot wait to learn more. Until next time...

Heroes in a half shell...(taken from: 
http://www.moronail.net/img/883_movies_animals) 

No comments:

Post a Comment